|Many thanks to Ferris Bueller for breaking the fourth wall!|
- This is truth! screams the magazine on the gas station shelf that tells young women and men that they must be skinny and sexy to be loved.
- This is truth! screams the Klansman protesting against immigration in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- This is truth! scream the Israelis and the Palestinians who shoot missiles at each other.
- This is truth! scream the Presbyterians as we argue over ordination standards.
- This is truth! scream the lies of this world.
When you think about it all of these self-acclaimed truths (which you and I know to be lies!) are based off of static truth as belief. For example…
- What the magazine with the pencil-thin model is claiming to be truth is based off of the belief that we must be thin, airbrushed, and fake in order to be accepted and loved.
- What the Klansman is claiming to be truth is based off of the belief that by being privileged, white, and male he is superior to anyone who is not also privileged, white, and male.
- What the Israelis and Palestinians are claiming to be truth is based off of the belief that each is entitled to certain things.
- What the liberal and conservative Presbyterians are claiming to be truth is based off of the belief that each knows what God has in store for the church of Christ.
- For the Truth that meets us in the passage did not spend his final hours with his disciples teaching them doctrine; he spent these last precious moments breaking bread and pouring wine.
- The Truth that meets us in this passage is not preparing to state his beliefs; he is preparing to die.
- The Truth that meets us in this passage will not give a grand treatise stating his beliefs; he will hang on a cross.
- And the Truth that meets us in this passage will not send out a post-resurrection email stating what we are to “believe” at the sight of the empty tomb; he will rise from the grave and defeat death and save us and invite us to respond.
We worship Jesus Christ, the Truth, the Alpha and the Omega, who alone is our King, whose only credentials are that he is the one who has always done truth, is always doing truth, and will always do truth forevermore. It is for this reason that you and I are gathered in the presence of the Lord this day to praise the One who allows truth, true truth, to be done.
- For when at the Lord’s Table bread is broken and wine is poured, there truth is being done!
- When water is poured at the font that seals a child of God into family of God, there truth is being done!
- When a group of counter-protesters in Charlotte dress up as clowns to ridicule the hate-filled speech of the Ku Klux Klan, there is truth being done!
- When a gentlemen, who once slept in the homeless shelter in the basement of an Atlanta church, returns years later to volunteer at that same ministry, there is truth being done!
- When members from across this presbytery gathered to worship with you all back in May, there is truth being done!
- When the members of this community here at Silver Creek assembled fifteen baskets of food to be given to local families this Thanksgiving, there is truth being done!